Penn State Mont Alto women’s basketball rallied from a 12-point third quarter deficit, but their comeback against PSU York came up just short. Mont Alto dropped a 47-45 road contest on Saturday. The loss dropped PSUMA to 4-10 overall and 1-8 within the PSUAC conference.
Inside the Box Score
- Neither team shot particularly well from the field with Mont Alto shooting the better percentage at 28.1 percent, while they knocked down 6-of-20 from 3-point range. Penn State York (7-8, 6-4 PSUAC) shot a 26.8 percent clip from the field and converted 6-of-16 shots from downtown.
- Mariah Martin (Shippensburg, Pa./Shippensburg) led all scorers with 19 points as the sophomore forward grabbed 12 rebounds. Madison Bishop (Newville, Pa./Big Spring) chipped in 10 points.
- Janelle Kress scored 16 points playing all 40 minutes for York with Sky Warner adding 11 points.
How it Happened
- The schools combined to knockdown just four shots within the first quarter as defense was the name of the game. After finishing the first tied 5-5, Mont Alto established a 13-9 lead with a Bishop layup that was assisted by Mariah Martin (Shippensburg, Pa./Shippensburg). After Madison Bishop (Newville, Pa./Big Spring) knocked down another jumper, PSUMA lead 18-11 with 4:01 left in the quarter.
- PSU York closed the second period on a 12-0 run, which included a Natalie Berry 3-pointer that gave her team the 23-18 halftime lead.
- York remained hot within the third quarter as they shot 33.3 percent and hit 3-of-6 from downtown. They ran out to their largest lead of the game (33-21) with a Berry fast break layup with 6:50 left. PSUMA went into the final quarter trailing 42-31.
- Mont Alto tuned up its defense and it showed holding the home team to just five points including holding them to just one made basket from the field. PSUMA cut the deficit to 45-41 entering the final minute of play, but Sky Warner and Janelle Cress each hit one of their free throws for what turned out to be the margin of victory at 47-45.
Mont Alto returns home for its final game of the month of January when they host Penn State Schuylkill At 6 p.m. Tuesday.
FRANK MAIRA is Assistant Director of Athletics/SID at Penn State Mont Alto