I don’t know if it’s the baseball weather or promise of summer cookouts to come. I just know that when that longing comes, there’s only one remedy. Dad’s old fashioned chili dogs.
A tasty treat that is easy to fix and fun to eat. Your family will love this delicious, fun meal for any day of the week! The grilled hot dog is smothered in ground beef chili sauce, sprinkled with cheddar cheese and onions on a toasted bun.
Dad's Old Fashioned Chili Dogs
- 1 Package Hotdog Buns
- 1 Package Hotdogs
- 1 Pound Ground Beef
- 1 Small Can Beans
- 1 Small Can Green Chillies
- 1/2 Small Onion
- 1 Small Can Fire Roasted Tomatoes chopped
- 1 Small Can Tomato Paste
- 1 Tablespoon Chili Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Cumin
- 1 Teaspoon Cayenne
- Black Pepper to taste
- 1 Cup Cheddar Cheese shredded
- Cilantro as needed
- 1 Wedge Lime for the hotdog
- 1 Wedge Lime for the beer
- 1 Bottle Corona Beer
- In a pan brown Ground Beef until thoroughly cooked.
- To the pan add the Beans, Fire Roasted Tomatoes, Onions, Green Chillies, Tomato Paste, Chili Powder, Cumin, Cayenne, Pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and stir occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Cut Hotdogs lengthwise and cook in a skillet with butter on medium heat until done. Remove the Hotdogs and set aside.
- Place Hotdog Buns face down on skillet and toast until golden brown. Turn off heat and remove buns.
- Place the Hotdog Bun on a plate with the Hotdog on top.
- Spoon on Chilly Mix, squeeze 1/4 lime wedge over the chilly mix, sprinkle with Cheese and Cilantro.
- Serve with a Corona Beer and Lime Wedge.