I love baked Chimichangas. The outside shell is crunchy and taste just as good as the traditional fried shell. They are healthier, easier, and just wicked good eats.
On the inside, we’ve got some shredded chicken and spices, chopped tomato, black beans, sweet corn, and cheese to fill you up and make your taste buds do a happy dance.
On the outside, we’ve got some guacamole, lettuce, more chopped tomato, cilantro, and of course, more cheese. You just can’t go wrong here.
On the side, we’ve refried beans with a pinch of chilli powder mixed in for some zest covered in melted cheese with some spanish rice on the other side.
- 2 Cups Chicken shredded
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1/2 Cup Onion chopped
- 3 Cloves Garlic minced
- 1 Teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Cumin ground
- 1/4 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 Pinch Cayenne
- 1 Cup Black Beans
- 1 Cup Sweet Corn
- 1 Tomato chopped
- 1 Handful Cilantro chopped
- 5 Tablespoons Butter
- 4 Flour Tortillas
- 2 1/2 Cups Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 Cup Half and Half
- 1 Tablespoon All-Purpose Flour
- Cook chicken in skillet until juices run clear or just use rotisserie chicken and tear up the chicken into small pieces.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add in the onion and cook until soft, about 3 minutes.
- Add in the garlic and cook for an additional minute,
- Add in the chicken, spices, sweet corn and black beans. Cook for a minute.
- Add in the tomato, and cilantro. Stir well to combine and cook for a minute more, or until warmed through. Remove the skillet from heat.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Melt 3 tablespoons of the butter in a microwave safe bowl.
- Scoop about 3/4 cup worth of the chicken and bean mixture onto the center of each tortilla. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup of cheese each. Brush the outside of the tortilla with butter and fold the tortilla. To fold, bring in both sides, then bring the bottom upward, and then turn the whole chimichanga over, longways, to fold over the remaining top side. Move to a prepared baking sheet. Brush each chimichanga with the melted butter.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then flip and butter the other side of the chimichangas. Bake for another 8 minutes, or until golden brown and crisp.
- While the chimichangas bake, combine the Half and Half with the flour in a microwave safe bowl. Stir until smooth. Add 1 tablespoon of butter and microwave for 2 minutes.
- Stir well and add the remaining 1 1/2 cups of cheese.
- Stir again and microwave for another minute. The cheese should be melted now. Stir until completely smooth. If your sauce is too runny, give it a few minutes to cool and it will thicken up.
- Serve the chimichangas with cheese sauce, guacamole, cilantro, and chopped tomato with refried beans and spanish rice on the side.