A pan-seared chicken, smothered and baked in a mozzarella tomato sauce. Served on a plate of cheesy and pasta with glazed carrots on the side.
This recipe takes a little extra effort to make, but it is really worth the work.
Baked Tomato Chicken on Mozzarella Pasta with Sweet Carrots
- 4 Small Chicken Breasts
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Garlic minced
- ½ Cup Onion chopped
- 1 Can Crushed Tomatoes 14 ounce
- ½ Teaspoon Italian Seasoning and Red Pepper Flakes mix
- ¼ Teaspoon Basil
- 1 Tablespoon Sun Dried Tomato Pesto
- ¼ Cup Water
- 1 Cup Mozzarella Cheese shredded
- 1 Cup Milk
- ½ Cup Monterey Jack cheese Grated
- ½ Cup Cheddar Cheese Grated
- 1 Tablespoon Unsalted Butter
- 2 Cups Pasta
- 1 Pound Carrots chopped
- ½ Cup Brown Sugar
- ¼ Cup Unsalted Butter
- Parsley chopped
- Sprinkle the chicken with a pinch of pepper on both sides.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat with olive oil
- Add the chicken to the skillet and cook for about 2-3 minutes per side until the chicken is completely seared.
- Preheat the oven on the broiler setting.
- Add the onions to the oil remaining in the pan. If there isn’t any, add in about ½ teaspoon and sauté the onion for 2-3 minutes until the soften.
- Add the garlic and let cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, dried basil, and pesto and stir to combine.
- When the sauce reaches a simmer, add a ¼ cup of water, lower the heat, cover and allow to simmer for 10-12 minutes or until the sauce thickens a bit.
- Season with pepper to taste.
- Chop 1 pound of carrots and place in an oven safe dish.
- Cover with brown sugar and butter.
- Cook in oven at 350 for 20 minutes.
- Nestle the chicken breasts into the sauce and using a spoon, cover the chicken with sauce.
- 5 minutes before the chicken is done add cheese on top of chicken and cook until the cheese gets nice and bubbly and just melts.
- Place in the over for 20 minutes.
- Top with chopped parsley or basil ribbons.
- Serve on top of cheesy pasta and sweet carrots on the side.