By Frank Maira, special to Franklin County Free Press
MONT ALTO, Pa. – It was a tale of two different games as the visiting Penn State Beaver Lions took game one by a 19-2 score in four innings, but Mont Alto won the nightcap by scoring two runs in the bottom of the sixth for the 4-2 win on Sunday, March 24. With the split Mont Alto improves to 2-8 overall and 1-3 within the PSUAC.
Penn State Beaver 19, Penn State Mont Alto 2
- Beaver scored a pair of runs in the top of the first, but PSUMA responded in bottom half of the frame. Krista Feaser (Shippensburg, Pa. / Faith Tabernacle) used savvy base running to steal home and Delaney Wagner(Lewisburg, Pa. / Lewisburg Area) followed suit by stealing third and advancing to home on a wild throw in the following at-bat.
- Beaver scored five runs in the top of the second to go up 7-2 and plated 12 more runs in the fourth inning to earn the win.
- Vanessa Jackson tossed the ball well in the circle for Penn State Beaver (11-5, 3-1 PSUAC).
Penn State Mont Alto 4, Penn State Beaver 2
- Beaver scored first with a run in the top of the first inning when Jessica Hughes grounded into a fielder’s choice.
- Mont Alto went up 2-1 in the bottom of the third when Brooklyn Wagner (Newville, Pa. / Big Spring) doubled to deep center field. A visitor’s double in the top of the fifth inning tied the game at two runs apiece setting up for an exciting finish.
- PSUMA quickly loaded the bases up with no-outs in the bottom of the sixth, but were unable to advance those base runners until Helayna Thomas (Biglerville, Pa. / Biglerville) reached on a error in which both Brooklyn Wagner (Newville, Pa. / Big Spring) and Delaney Wagner (Lewisburg, Pa. / Lewisburg Area) scored.
- PSUMA held on in the top of the seventh as the final out of the game was recorded on a Delaney Wagner (Lewisburg, Pa. / Lewisburg Area) throw out at home plate from her positioning in left field.
Mont Alto returns to action on Friday, March 29 with a PSUAC road doubleheader against Penn State New Kensington.
FRANK MAIRA is Assistant Director of Athletics/SID at Penn State Mont Alto