The cheesesteak was developed in the early 20th century “by combining frizzled beef, onions, and cheese in a small loaf of bread”, according to a 1987 exhibition catalog published by the Library Company of Philadelphia and the Historical Society of Pennsylvania.
Variations on the Classic Cheesesteak
- A chicken cheesesteak is made with chicken instead of beef, sometimes referred to as a chicken Philly
- A pizza steak is a cheesesteak topped with marinara sauce and mozzarella cheese and may be toasted in a broiler
- A cheesesteak hoagie contains lettuce and tomato in addition to the ingredients found in the traditional steak sandwich, and may contain other elements often served in a hoagie.
- A vegan cheesesteak is a sandwich that replaces steak and cheese with vegan ingredients, such as seitan or mushrooms for the steak, and soy-based cheese
- The Heater is a spicy variation of a Philly cheesesteak. It’s a cheesesteak that is topped with jalapenos, Buffalo sauce, and jalapeno cheddar. It’s the signature cheesesteak of the Philadelphia Phillies and is served at the Phillies baseball games at Citizens Bank Park
Now, on to Uncle Phil’s Cheesesteak Recipe.