By Frank Maira,
Special to Franklin County Free Press
NEW KENSINGTON, Pa. – The Penn State Mont Alto men’s basketball team continued their winning ways on Wednesday and won its ninth-straight game over Penn State New Kensington by a 98-72 score.
Marcus Roper (Charles Town, W.Va. / Jefferson)led all scorers with a career-high 29 points. He shot 4-for-10 from 3-point range and also grabbed five boards.
Inside the Box Score
- New Kensington shot well from the field in the first half (15-of-30), but PSUMA’s defense locked down in the second half holding them to 34.6 percent from the floor.
- John Teague (Hagerstown, Md. / North Hagerstown) notched his second-straight double-double and third of the season with 17 points and 11 rebounds.
- Senior Jalen Smith (Ranson, W.Va. / Jefferson) also added 17 points and seven boards. Fellow upperclassman Drew Pitzer (Bunker Hill, W.Va. /Mussleman)chipped in 10 points and a season-high eight rebounds.
- Mont Alto held a 52-31 advantage in rebounds.
How it Happened
- Mont Alto started hot and raced to a 12-5 lead after a John Teague (Hagerstown, Md. / North Hagerstown) layup. New Kensington had its response and went on a run of its own and built a 25-16 advantage after a Jacob Richardson bucket.
- PSUMA clawed their way back for much of the first half and took a 42-41 lead into halftime. New Kensington was able to keep Mont Alto off balance within the half with its 2-3 zone.
- It was a tale of two halves for Mont Alto as they came out of the locker room fired up especially on the defensive end of the floor and it showed. PSUMA forced a homestanding Lions timeout at the 13:57 mark after a Jalen Smith (Ranson, W.Va. / Jefferson) layup that put his team up 58-46.
- Mont Alto had its way for the remainder of the game as they held on for the 98-72 road win.
Penn State Mont Alto (18-6, 15-3 PSUAC) have officially locked up the No. 1 seed in the PSUAC West and will play in its final home game of the regular season on Friday, Feb. 15 against PSU DuBois.