Special to Franklin County Free Press
MONT ALTO – The Penn State Mont Alto baseball team won a game halted Friday in the bottom of the 11thinning on a Chayse Fisher (Mercersburg, Pa. / James Buchanan) walk-off single when the game resumed Saturday.
Then the Nittany Lions went on to split a doubleheader as they celebrated Senior Day against PSU Fayette, with the visitors taking the nightcap 11-10 after they fell 11-0 in the first game.
In between games of Saturday’s doubleheader, the Mont Alto baseball program and the athletics department celebrated Senior Day by honoring Caleb Leggett (Williamsport, Md. / Williamsport), Jeremiah Younker (Hagerstown, Md. / Williamsport), Nick Jacoby (Shippensburg, Pa. / Shippensburg), Colin Osborne (Williamsport, Md. / Williamsport), Hunter Martin (Hagerstown, Md. / North Hagerstown), Lowell Singer(Newville, Pa. / Big Spring) and Aric Smoker (Newville, Pa. / Big Spring) for their outstanding accomplishments on the diamond and in the classroom.
Penn State Mont Alto 7, Penn State Fayette 6
- In a halted game from Friday afternoon that was picked up in the top of the 10thinning, Chance McClure (Chambersburg, Pa. / Chambersburg Area) escaped a jam within the frame and saw his team walk-off in the bottom of the 11th inning.
- Mont Alto managed a combined 19 hits and played sloppy defense on Friday with five errors.
- PSUMA first mounted its comeback in the bottom of the eighth as they trailed 5-2 before scoring three runs. Both Fayette and Mont Alto scored a run in the ninth inning to force extra innings.
- Colby Black (Shippensburg, Pa. / Big Spring) finished 2-for-5 with a double and a pair of RBIs.
Penn State Mont Alto 11, Penn State Fayette 0
- Mont Alto’s offense was firing on all cylinders, scoring three runs in the first two innings building a 6-0 lead. Hunter Martin (Hagerstown, Md. / North Hagerstown)drove in an RBI on a deep triple to right center field.
- The Nittany Lions added two more runs in the third inning when Spencer Seaman (Chambersburg, Pa. / Chambersburg Area) sliced a bases clearing single through the right side.
- Jeremiah Younker (Hagerstown, Md. / Williamsport) earned the win after tossing five innings and limited the Roaring Lions to just three hits.
- Seaman plated another run on a single to center field and Mitchell Knode (Chambersburg, Pa. / Chambersburg Area) drove in a pair when he lined a single to left field in the top of the sixth.
Penn State Fayette 11, Penn State Mont Alto 10
- Fayette earned the come from behind win scoring five unanswered runs and concluded the game on a walk-off double from Garrett Stevenson in which TJ Lux scored.
- Trailing 3-0 after the first inning, Mont Alto tied it up after a sacrifice fly from Chayse Fisher (Mercersburg, Pa. / James Buchanan) and a triple in which was legged out by Bryce Kendall (Chambersburg, Pa. / Chambersburg Area). Nick Jacoby (Shippensburg, Pa. / Shippensburg) plated the tying run on a double to left field.
- Mont Alto went up 9-5 after a Jacoby single in which plated a pair of runs. Fayette would go on to score five unanswered with most of the damage occurring in the fourth and fifth innings to go up 10-9.
- Fisher doubled to left field in which tied it up at 10 runs apiece but the Stevenson double earned his team the win.
Mont Alto returns to action on Wednesday, April 24, in a non-conference nine-inning game with Dickinson College. First pitch is slated for 3 p.m.
Frank Maira is Assistant Director of Athletics/SID at Penn State Mont Alto