By Frank Maira , special to Franklin County Free Press
MONT ALTO, Pa. – The Penn State Mont Alto baseball team built a 4-2 lead in the bottom of the fifth inning and never looked back holding on for the 9-4 win over PSU Beaver on Sunday.
Inside the Box Score
- Leadoff hitter Colby Black (Shippensburg, Pa. / Big Springs) notched three hits and scored three runs. He recorded an RBI single in the sixth inning when he drove in Caleb Leggett (Williamsport, Md. / Williamsport).
- AJ Millar (Harrisburg, Pa. / Central Dauphin)started on the mound for Mont Alto and earned the win allowing five hits along with three earned runs in six innings of work.
- Jeremiah Younker (Hagerstown, Md. / Williamsport) produced two doubles including a bases clearing effort in the bottom of the eighth frame.
- Brady Topper (Littlestown, Pa. / Littlestown) drove in a game-high four RBIs and was 3-for-4 at the plate with a double.
How it Happened
- PSUMA got off to a good start and built a 1-0 lead after Nick Jacoby (Shippensburg, Pa. / Shippensburg) scored on a Brady Topper (Littlestown, Pa. / Littlestown)double. Beaver immediately responded when they plated a run in the top of the second inning.
- The score remained tied until Chance McClure (Chambersburg, Pa. / Chambersburg Area) scored on a Jacoby fielder’s choice. Beaver once again tied it right back up in the ensuing inning. It was back-to-back sacrifice fly’s off of the bats of Topper and Younker that put the Lions up 4-2 in the bottom of the fifth.
- Beaver made it 4-3 on a Trey Tuffy RBI single, but Mont Alto scored two more run in the bottom of the sixth to gain the commanding 6-3 lead.
- Mont Alto added three runs on three more hits and were helped out by a visitor error as it added insurance runs in the bottom of the eighth inning.
- Paul Steiger (Waynesboro, Pa. / Waynesboro Area) and Cameron Lee (Warrenton, Va. / Fauquier) were solid in relief tossing a combined four innings.
Mont Alto (9-9, 2-1 PSUAC) return to action on Tuesday, March 26 in a road nine-inning game against Chesapeake College. First pitch is scheduled for 3:30 p.m.
FRANK MAIRA is assistant director of athletics/SID at Penn State Mont Alto