Special to Franklin County Free Press
MONT ALTO — The Penn State Mont Alto baseball team churned out another doubleheader sweep on Saturday against PSU Greater Allegheny. Mont Alto starter Lowell Singer (Newville, Pa. / Big Spring) tossed his best game of the season in the 8-0 game one win and AJ Millar (Harrisburg, Pa. / Central Dauphin) hit a two-run homer to power his team to the 5-1 sweep of PSUGA.
Penn State Mont Alto 8, Penn State Greater Allegheny 0
- Singer recorded eight strikeouts and limited Greater Allegheny to four hits in the shutout win. The tall righty improved his record to 4-2 on the season.
- Mont Alto scored its first run of the game in the bottom of the fourth inning on a AJ Millar (Harrisburg, Pa. / Central Dauphin) sacrifice fly.
- PSUMA exploded for six more runs in the following inning. With the bases loaded, Brady Topper (Littlestown, Pa. / Littlestown) drove in a pair with a single. Two batters later, Chayse Fisher (Mercersburg, Pa. / James Buchanan) cleared the bases with a single of his own that drove in Younker, Topper and Nick Jacoby (Shippensburg, Pa. / Shippensburg). Another Millar sacrifice fly put Mont Alto up 7-0.
- Chance McClure (Chambersburg, Pa. / Chambersburg Area) scored the final run of the game after singling, stealing second and scoring on a Colby Black (Shippensburg, Pa. / Big Spring) single.
Penn State Mont Alto 5, Penn State Greater Allegheny 1
- Mont Alto scored first again this time in the bottom of the first stanza. A Brady Topper; (Littlestown, Pa. / Littlestown) double plated teammate Colby Black (Shippensburg, Pa. / Big Spring). Greater Allegheny scored what turned out to be their only run of the game in the top of the second inning. Jeremiah Younker (Hagerstown, Md. / Williamsport) got the start on the mound and let up two-straight hits and Dan Ernst scored for the visitors.
- Topper drove in his second RBI in the third inning and AJ Millar (Harrisburg, Pa. / Central Dauphin) put his team up 4-1 with his two-run dinger.
- Colby Black (Shippensburg, Pa. / Big Spring) finished his afternoon 1-for-2 as his RBI single in fourth inning put the game on ice.
- Younker finished with a season-high nine strikeouts and lowered his season ERA to 3.86.
Mont Alto (16-11, 7-1 PSUAC) will look to keep their seven-game win streak alive tomorrow when they conclude the season series with Greater Allegheny.
FRANK MAIRA is assistant director of athletics/SID, Penn State Mont Alto