- This event has passed.
Aug 24: Stories on the Mountain: Tales of Spirits and History
August 24 @ 9:00 am – 4:30 pm
From stories of freedom seekers to jealous loves and legends of the White Witch of Pond Bank, you will experience the history and legend of the South Mountain.
Discover How the Mountain Forests:
- Fed the iron ore industry
- Sheltered escaping enslaved
- Saw the strife of Civil War and was reborn through Pennsylvania’s conservation movement.
Experience 200 Years of History as You:
- Learn the secret, tangled routes of the Underground Railroad
- Visit a general store museum
- Hear the eerie story of the silvery lady of Pond Bank
- Join the Ghost Pit (Paranormal Investigation Team) for a lunchtime investigation of Penn National Inn.
- Visit the 1812 Royer farmhouse at Renfrew Park
- Hear the story of the Renfrew Sisters, Daniel Royer, and the Nicodemus family
- Continue up the mountain to Monterey Pass Battlefield where 10,000 Union and Confederate troops fought along the mountain ridge in a blinding thunderstorm during the late hours of July 4 and early hours of July 5, 1863.
Franklin County Visitors Bureau