Special to Franklin County Free Press
MONT ALTO – The Penn State Mont Alto baseball team really gained wind in their sails with a 13-run bottom of the fourth inning as they took game one against New Kensington 17-2 and completed the sweep with a 12-2 effort on a sunny Saturday afternoon.
PSUMA improves to 11-11 overall and 4-1 within the PSUAC, while New Kensington dropped to 1-10 and 0-4 in the conference.
Penn State Mont Alto 17, Penn State New Kensington 2
- Reece Matson drove in the opening run in the top of the first with a single and New Kensington maintained that lead until the bottom of the third with Chris Rendulic silencing the PSUMA bats.
- Mont Alto scored four runs on three hits with Brady Topper (Littlestown, Pa. / Littlestown) driving in the first run with a single. Chayse Fisher (Mercersburg, Pa. / James Buchanan) drove the next run on a deep sacrifice fly to center field. The final two runs were scored when AJ Millar(Harrisburg, Pa. / Central Dauphin) reached on an error
- Mont Alto’s bats really came alive scoring a season-high to date 13 runs in the bottom of the fourth inning. The Nittany Lions slugged 11 hits within the inning including a triple and a two-run homer off of the bat of Jeremiah Younker (Hagerstown, Md. / Williamsport) who ended up hitting for the cycle. Hunter Martin (Hagerstown, Md. / North Hagerstown) went back-to-back with Younker with a homer to left field. Fisher was the next batter and he singled and touched home on a AJ Millar(Harrisburg, Pa. / Central Dauphin) two-run shot to left center field. Millar, Nick Jacoby (Shippensburg, Pa. / Shippensburg), and Brady Topper (Littlestown, Pa. / Littlestown) each hit RBI doubles within the frame.
- New Kensington scored a run off of reliever Aric Smoker (Newville, Pa. / Big Spring)as starter Lowell Singer (Newville, Pa. / Big Spring) earned the victory tossing four innings. He recorded a season-high eight strikeouts and gave up just the lone run in the first.
Penn State Mont Alto 12, Penn State New Kensington 2
- Mont Alto got off to the hot start with six runs in the bottom of the first. Brady Topper(Littlestown, Pa. / Littlestown) drove in Colby Black (Shippensburg, Pa. / Big Springs) with a double and a Hunter Martin (Hagerstown, Md. / North Hagerstown) triple cleared the bases. A Chance McClure (Chambersburg, Pa. / Chambersburg Area) RBI single made it 5-0 and Black hit around within the inning with a RBI single.
- The Lions managed 14 hits overall and New Kensington scored both of its runs in the top of the third on a two-RBI double.
- Younker earned the win on the mound for Mont Alto scattering seven hits on two runs. He recorded six strikeouts. He helped his cause at the plate with a 3-for-4 effort with two RBIs and a triple. Martin also went 3-for-4.
The Lions return to action on Tuesday, April 2 to complete the PSUAC series with New Kensington on the road for a nine-inning contest at 2 p.m.
Frank Maira is Assistant Director of Athletics/SID at Penn State Mont Alto