Chicken enchiladas is an easy casserole dish made to feed a crowd.
My all-time favorite chicken enchilada recipe — easy to make, totally customizable with your favorite fillings — is the Dos Hombres variety.
Chicken enchiladas are brimming with irresistible flavors and aromas and make any occasion more fun.
When serving these cheese enchiladas, try including one or more of the following:
- Sour cream and fresh guacamole – after heating and serving the enchiladas, add a dollop or two of cool sour cream and fresh guacamole to each plate for added flavor.
- Refried beans and spanish rice – when serving multiple guests, side dishes like these perfectly complement the enchiladas and can make the meal heartier, and even healthier.
- Homemade lime margaritas – with tequila or with no alcohol, depending on who you are serving, of course!
- Chips and salsa – for added crunch and flavor.
- 3 Chicken Breast shredded
- 3 cups Monterey Jack Cheese shredded
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 medium Sweet Onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cans diced green chiles 4-ounce
- 1 can Salsa Verde divided, 16-ounce
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 8 flour tortillas warmed, 8-inch
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly oil a 9 x 13 baking dish or coat with nonstick spray.
- Heat canola oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, and cook, stirring frequently, until translucent, about 2-3 minutes. Stir in garlic, oregano and cumin until fragrant, about 1 minute. Remove from heat; stir in green chiles.
- In a large bowl, combine green chile mixture, chicken, 1/3 cup salsa verde and cilantro. Stir in 1 1/2 cups cheese; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- To assemble the enchiladas, lay tortilla on a flat surface and spoon 1/2-3/4 cups of the chicken mixture in the center. Roll the tortilla and place seam side down onto prepared baking dish. Repeat with remaining tortillas and chicken mixture. Top with remaining salsa verde and remaining 1 1/2 cups cheese.
- Place into oven and bake until bubbly, about 35-40 minutes.
- Serve immediately, topped with dollops of sour cream.