Shippensburg University senior associate director of athletics and senior woman administrator (SWA) Carrie Michaels has been selected to serve on the NCAA Division II Management Council.
Michaels’ term begins after the 2020 NCAA Convention and lasts through Jan. 31, 2024.
She became a candidate for consideration from the Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference (PSAC) through her role as Shippensburg’s SWA. PSAC chooses one athletic director, one SWA and one faculty athletic representative (FAR) to submit to the NCAA.
The NCAA Management Council votes on the submissions from each Division II conference. It then presents the selections to the NCAA Presidents’ Council for approval.
“I am excited about the opportunity to join Management Council,” Michaels said.
She looks forward to contributing to the future of Division II. And the NCAA while representing SU and the PSAC, she said.
The Management Council reviews and acts on recommendations from the Division II committee structure and from Division II representatives to committees with NCAA-wide functions.
It’s Many Responsibilities Include:
- Implementation of policies adopted by the NCAA’s Board of Governors and the Division II Presidents’ Council
- Making recommendations to the Division II Presidents’ Council on matters it deems appropriate
- Interpreting the by-laws of Division II
Twenty-eight members sit on the Management Council, including one administrator or a representative from each of the Division II multisport voting conferences.
“Carrie is an excellent choice as a representative from the conference,” PSAC Commissioner Steve Murray said. He cited Michael’s tenure in the conference, her involvement in NCAA committees and WLICS as important to her new role.
Michaels is a member of the SU senior management team on behalf of athletics.
Michael’s Intercollegiate Experience Includes:
- Overall development and management of NCAA Division II athletics with responsibilities that include budget oversight
- Supervision of sports programs and support services
- Policy creation and implementation
- Selection and evaluation of department personnel
- Game operations and promotions
- Student-athlete development
Michaels serves as SU’s Deputy Title IX Coordinator on behalf of the athletics department. She is also a member of the university’s Title IX Team.
Michaels is proficient in gender equity evaluation and plan development. She has worked specifically with university legal counsel and the Office for Civil Rights to address compliance issues.
Michaels was the recipient of the 2018 Women Leaders in College Sports NCAA Division II Administrator of the Year Award.