This master recipe for beer-can chicken is a showstopper that will dazzle your family and friends.
Moe's Beer Can Chicken
Servings: 2 People
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground celery seed
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- ½ cup paprika
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
Beer Can Chicken
- 2 bay leaves crumbled
- 1 can beer 12 ounce can
- 1 whole chicken
- Poke holes all over chicken to let fat run out during cooking.
- Rub chicken thoroughly with spice rub: inside and out, and then under skin as far as you can reach
- Set aside chicken.
- Remove upper racks from oven.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- When oven preheated, take a healthy drink of the beer, leaving about 9 or 10 ounces.
- Crumble bay leaves into beer, in beer can.
- Insert beer can firmly into chicken cavity.
- Place chicken upright in shallow heatproof pan.
- Bake chicken upright until thickest part is 165°F , an hour or an hour and a half.
- When removing chicken from oven, keep upright.
- Rest chicken upright 15 minutes before removing beer can.
A disposable drip pan will save you a lot of cleanup (and a lot of flares on the outdoor grill). This is really best on a charcoal grill, on medium heat.